Sunday, March 20, 2011

Cruel Story of Youth


A new addition to the posters I've been working on for the Calgary Cinematheque. This is for Cruel Story of Youth, a 1960 film directed by Nagisa Oshima (who also directed the movie Merry Christmas Mr. Lawrence with David Bowie).

I like to watch the movie before designing the poster to see if there is anything that will inspire me, or if there is an underlying theme that I feel I should expand upon, and this was an interesting movie to watch because the film is done in such a frank way – it's an extreme version of Rebel Without A Cause (a movie that was made 5 years earlier) – misunderstood youth trying to figure out their place in this world sort of stuff.

I won't go into the details of the movie, I have provided a link to the imdb site for that, but needless to say I was struck by the energy of the film and I tried to convey that in the poster.

No comments:

Post a Comment