Friday, December 17, 2010

Ugetsu


The Calgary Cinematheque is presenting a wonderful film by Kenji Mizuguchi from 1953, titled Ugestu. It's a film that deals with greed, ambition, love and loss. Until I was asked to create this poster I had never seen this film before and I really enjoyed it.

I have to say that I am thrilled to be able to work with the Cinematheque on their posters. I feel the same way now as I did when I was in art college. Back then I would talk to friends and they would recommend films that I had never heard of. Often times I would be pleasantly surprised, sometimes I would be amazed and sometimes I would wonder what the hell they were on, but I digress. So the Cinematheque is like a friend asking me if I have ever seen (insert movie name here)? Sometimes, with a smile, I can say yes and I know exactly how I want to represent it. Sometimes, with I smile, I say no…and that's the challenge.

No comments:

Post a Comment