Wednesday, January 16, 2013

The Expo gets "Weird"

I know he was announced on the Calgary Expo site a while ago, but I just finished up the gig poster for the event and I wanted to post it.

I am a huge fan of "Weird Al", I have been for years (ever since "Weird Al" in 3-D, so yeah, it's been a long time), and working with the Calgary Expo I have had some fun projects to work on and this one falls squarely into that category.

My first concept - which I won't show just yet because I personally love it and I want to polish it up and get a print for "Weird Al" to sign when he comes to the show in April - was deemed "fun, clever and creative" by "Weird Al"'s camp but it was decided that the EC homage (pictured above) would be the best direction for the event and have a much broader appeal.

I'm thrilled with how the poster turned out because it has the right vibe (I think I captured that EC look and feel pretty well - Great! I just broke my arm patting myself on the back) and the use of the comic book design really ties the "Weird Al" experience in to the comic book aspect of the Calgary Comic and Entertainment Expo.

FYI "Weird Al" will be at the Calgary Expo on Friday and Saturday signing autographs. The performance is a separate ticketed event on the Friday night. If it is anything like his last show (for his "Straight Outta Lynwood" album) it will be amazing!

No comments:

Post a Comment